Saturday, July 14, 2012

AMCAS submitted!

As of yesterday, all of my primary applications are in! I read the status update on AMCAS today. It said that as of 7/13, they were currently processing the applications marked "ready for review" on or before 6/17. Really? How much of an advantage is it to submit early if you just get stuck in a log-jam? My application is "ready for review" as all of my transcripts have been marked received. Some transcripts took 3 weeks from date of order to being entered into the system. If you are planning to apply next year, request your transcripts in May and start entering them right away. Your application can be sent to the school without your letters of recommendation.

I took the e-MCAT practice test 9 today. PS:8, VR:11, BS:10. I'm optimistic that I'll do much better on my September 1 test. But study time has been strained with all the application writing I've had to do. Most schools don't bother to screen their applicants for secondaries. That means you've got your personal statement to craft as well as your 15 extracurriculars (and you need to make those "3 most significant" essays count) plus two additional essays or so for each school you apply to. I guess the up-side of all the writing is, once you get into medical school the chances you will ever write another piece of compelling prose in the next 4 years is pretty dang low.

No comments:

Post a Comment