Thursday, February 14, 2013

Premed Application Valentine Saga

Remember a time when you had a crush on a guy, and he didn't even give you the time of day? Maybe it was middle school or high school. I've kind of got that thing going on now. Kinda.

You see, my state school is one of those guys who thinks he's All That. God's gift to med students, if you will. Here's how our conversation has played out so far.

Me: Hey, you're kind of cute. Here's my number (application).

State School: Yeah. I know. You're not so bad yourself. (Read: fill out the secondary.)

Me: So you wanna go on a date (interview) or something?

State School: Sure. Why don't you come to my place. We can double. (He's keeping his options open.) How about lunch?

State School: By the way, don't call me. I'll call you. Maybe.

Time passes. A semester ends. Grades are posted.

Me: So, hey, what's up? I'm, you know, still here. And I haven't heard from you. And thought maybe you lost my number. Maybe you wanna go out again? (In other words, I sent an update with a list of courses I completed and my grades--4.0, of course.)

State School: Cool. ("Thank you for your update. It was added to your file.")

Me: Cool. (As in, "Where do you get off wait-listing 95% of the people you interview! Really?")

State School: <Silence>

Meanwhile, I decided to date another school. This one was out of state. Maybe he wasn't quite as cute as my state school, but he certainly wasn't as stuck up. Now I'm in some sort of New Order-esque "Bizarre Love Triangle."

Other School: Hey, Vieve, wanna go out?

Me: Whatever. I don't have anything else to do.

Other School:  Hey, Vieve, I'm really into you.

Me: Whatever.

Other School: I got you a present ("We are pleased to offer you a scholarship...")

Me: Wow. This is kinda serious.

State School: <Silence>

Other School: Wanna move in?

Here I am, crushing on this school that's student-body president while this down-to-earth, sweet-as-pie other school is looking at me with puppy dog eyes. Of course, giving in to his puppy dog eyes means that I'll be selling my house, packing up my family, and moving a thousand miles away. I find myself feeling a little resentful towards my state school. It's like he's just leading me on and toying with my heart by not giving me a "thank you for your application, but..." letter. Why? Why do you have to play hard to get? If  you are this hard to get a second date with, I'm wondering if you are really even my type. Really, what's a girl to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment