Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Ah, family reunion time

A few weeks back, 17-year-old Mini-Me said, "Mom, how come you don't ever get overwhelmed?" I just laughed and set her straight.

Just yesterday, my mother-in-law let me know that it would be really nice if I would put together an electronic photo album to be included in a slide show at the up-coming family reunion. I knew that one of the other daughters-in-law had committed to doing the slide show and I vaguely promised to get some pictures together sometime.

As the reminder statement turned into a reminder paragraph, my "overwhelmed" leaked out. I began my apology, "I'm sorry that I really haven't made it a priority to do that yet. You see, I've been fairly swamped with more pressing things such as the remodel of the duplex we are trying to sell before we move out of state which is already two months behind schedule and working with a loan officer out of state trying to figure out what type of loan we can qualify for and researching the schools for the children while taking the biochemistry class that was fortunately graded on a curve so that my failing grade was bumped up to a B+ and a few projects at work that have seven people's jobs riding on them as well as the recent diagnosis my 14-year-old received a few months ago and trying to juggle his medical appointments for his chronic condition while trying to get some loose ends tied up such as getting Mini-Me started with an orthodontist who is located close to the campus she will be living at when she starts college this fall and trying to convince her that it really is time to get registered for classes and she is just so nervous but really doing so well (did I mention she just took her AP calculus test?) and I really wanted to reward her with a trip to DC as a graduation present but for some reason I'm not sure how comfortable I feel leaving behind the rest of my kids with your son who seems to be increasingly resentful that I am excited to go to school out of state since that means it will indeed require effort on his part to look for a job when the guy really isn't comfortable putting himself "out there" but, you know, I am planning on quitting the second week of July and that really only leaves me with less than three weeks to move and get settled in a new city with a household of kids while my husband continues to reside and work in the city where we currently live since there is no way on earth we can afford for him to just quit his job and hope for the best considering we are moving to a "metro" area about one-quarter the size of our small city."

She smiled and said, "Well, just get the pictures to So-and-So when you can."

Today, there was a message in my in-box from said daughter-in-law joking that "all you procrastinators" really needed to get these pictures in ASAP since the reunion is now a month away. Funny, only the women in the family were carbon-copied on that email. No men. None of the brothers. Sigh. Seeing as it is after midnight and all is quiet in my house and I am actually on the computer with the photos saved to the hard-drive, I managed to overcome my procrastinating tendency and send her a file with the requested photos.

Yep. I am so pumped for this reunion.

No comments:

Post a Comment