Monday, May 5, 2014

Random Confessions of an Optimist

There is so much that is ugly in this world, which is exactly why I believe in finding the beauty. Sometimes that takes no work at all. I look up and find myself lost in the colors of the sunset. Sometimes finding the beauty requires a little discovery. "Discover," in my book, means "hey, that wasn't exactly obvious, was it, but look what you got now!"

I've been told that people who are optimists have their heads stuck in the sand. I've also heard guys (why does this seem more male than female?) proclaim, "I'm a realist," as though being connected to reality makes their dour outlook on the world more legitimate.

I'm a realist, too, and I really believe in being optimistic. I believe in dreaming because I know people who have given up on their dreams. I hope for the best because there is nothing more desperate than an individual who is hopeless. I trust in the goodness of others because I know how imprisoning it feels to living with mistrust.

My first year of medical school will come to a close in one month. Focusing on the good of this experience is what has gotten me through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment