Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Ending all the BS

Today was my last day of class. The first two-years of my medical education comprising the basic sciences (affectionately known as "BS") will end on Friday, when I take my last professor-written exam. From there on out, all my testing will be done through national board exams. Before starting medical school, there is no way I could have fathomed all that I would be capable of learning in 21 months. It's odd, really...simultaneously appreciating that I have learned so much while profoundly realizing that I know so little.

I've attempted a somewhat half-hearted review of all my previous classes while trying to wrap my head around this last bit of BS I need to learn. As the lecture schedule began to wind down over the last few weeks, I've ramped up the Step Prep just a bit. After all, my first licensing exam is less than 60 days away, and I am keenly aware of knowing so very, very little.

Here's how the next two weeks are shaping up:

  • Friday. Exam over block content
  • Tuesday. "Customized" shelf exam (somewhat of an oxymoron...the Block Director selects the content area and the National Board of Medical Examiners supplies the questions)
  • Thursday. State-wide physicians' conference. I serve on a committee and am expected to attend.
  • Monday. Pathology NBME shelf exam
  • Tuesday. Pharmacology NBME shelf exam
  • Friday. CBSE-2. A repeat of that "are you really ready" assessment required by my school
  • Entering into the study cave

No comments:

Post a Comment