Wednesday, November 9, 2011

I need a time-out!

Motherhood is infinitely harder than I ever imagined. You hold your newborn in your arms and think, "I'm going to do everything right," to protect, encourage, educate, support, and nurture that little one through life. And then somewhere down the road you realize that your child actually has her own personality...her own free will. So much for doing everything right!

Every now and then, working professional, full-time student, and motherhood don't really mix well. Last week, those aspects of my life down-right collided. I was one crabby mom. This has got to be the greatest struggle for me in making the decision to go to medical school. So what about the debt? Who cares about the exams? Those are stresses I can manage. Those are challenges that I can "work-through" with my intellect. Feeling like my home-life is spinning out of control is not.

No, my home-life is NOT spinning out of control, but I'm keenly aware that it doesn't take too much to get that way. A crazy week now and then is not a life-style. I think it is important for kids to learn that challenges come, you work through them, and you're on to the next thing life has to offer. I don't like the idea of kids feeling like life is one constant challenge after another. I find myself wondering what I'm truly signing up for as I get ready for medical school. I'm not too worried about carving out family time in the first two years, but internship and residency are a whole other thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment