Thursday, October 25, 2012

Visiting Marian University

Marian University is reviewing its first group of applicants for the College of Osteopathic Medicine's inaugural class. A few weeks, I headed to Indianapolis on a business trip, and the friendly folks at Marian COM agreed to meet with me face to face.

Marian is on the edge of a part of town that, um, needs a little lovin'. Too many boarded up houses for me to keep count. Needless to say, there is ample opportunity for students to participate in community out-reach.

The campus is small, and the under-construction health science center promises to be a solid cornerstone, sitting prominently at a busy intersection. With 200 enrollees at the medical school, Marian University's total enrollment will go up by about 10%. I hope the school will be able to withstand the inevitable growing pains.

I'm a bit trepidatious about attending a new medical school, but Marian looks very promising. They have pulled together a faculty experienced in start-ups and I love the energy of new ventures. Their collaboration with well-established health systems is solid and reassuring. There are too many osteopathic hospitals in the US (could not find a reliable number), and Marian University has the good fortune of partnering with a well-established osteopathic facility. Kinda cool.

I submitted a primary app to MU-COM, but haven't yet decided if I'm going to submit a secondary. I'm narrowing down my DO secondaries to the cities I truly want to live in. I don't know if Indy is for me. I like what I've seen and heard from MU-COM, but moving, at this stage in life, means considering employment opportunities for my husband and college options for my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment