Friday, December 21, 2012

It happened!

This morning a co-worker asked me if I had heard anything yet. Sigh. I told him how hard it has been waiting and that I probably wouldn't hear anything until schools are back in session in January. John is close to retiring. He gave me a big smile and told me not to worry.

But I have been worrying for months now. That's just part and parcel of applying to medical school. Everything in your life is up in the air as you wait to hear back. As you wait for that one, magical email. And so, at 11:30, I refreshed my email one last time. I had to laugh at myself for refusing to give up hope that I just had to get my most-wanted Christmas gift. It was time to give my mind a rest and so I log out.

My sons get out of school early on Friday, so I packed up some paper-work and headed off to get them. My 12-year-old let me take a few moments to feel sorry for myself. "No word until January. Some how I need to not think about it for two weeks." He just smiled and told me not to worry. This has been a journey for them as well.

Around 2:00 PM I opened up my personal email account again, looking for a reciept from a recent purchase, and there it was. Stamped as delivered at 11:35--just minutes after I told myself to let it go. My offer to enroll in medical school. Unbelieveable.

Words cannot express the deep, abiding sense of gratitude I have. This whole process has just been amazing. Yes, I needed to have the attitude to keep with it and not let myself get derailed over the past few years, but there is no way I could have done this without the love and support of my children, my husband, and my friends. So many things have come together just-so in order to get me here. How blessed I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment