Saturday, October 19, 2013

Unbelievable but True

My friend and I were musing over the realities of medical school while prepping for our final gross anatomy exam. Both of us are in our 30s with kids. Our conversation went something like this...

Me: You know this is bad, but it isn't that bad.

New best friend: I was thinking the same thing! I was really thinking medical school would be much harder. I mean it's hard...

Me: But it's hard like it should be--not hard enough to kill you.

NBF: No! It was way worse in my mind.

Me: Yeah, I was totally having the "do I want to endure the pain?" inner-turmoil before applying.

NBF: Me too! People need to know it's not that bad. Well, it's bad, but not that bad.

Me: No worse than it needs to be. I cannot believe how much we need to know!

NBF: Totally agree. I definitely think it is manageable though. I mean, it's hard, but manageable.

Me: If I knew it would be so manageable, I probably would have applied sooner.


So there you go. An unsolicited "you can do this!" endorsement from two med-student mommies. Maybe, just maybe, motherhood has given us super powers that let us sail through the storm that would sink 20-somethings. Or maybe, medical school really is survivable when you surround yourself with the right people at the right school.

2 comments:

  1. Vieve-

    I just spent the last 2 hours pretty much going through your entire blog. What a phenomenal journey- I only hope you realize how inspiring it is to recount! I'm also a non traditional student interested in applying in May and wanted to get in touch, but couldn't find an email address. Do you have a place we can contact you? Also, according to your previous post, you were supposed to complete the national anatomy exam at some point last week- hope it went well!! Keep the stories coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading! You can do this if you are persistent. (Yeah, it does take a little bit of brains, too, but more persistence than anything else.) Feel free to ask your questions here and I'll do my best to answer them openly on my blog. Details on the NMBE anatomy exam will come soon :-)

    ReplyDelete