Wednesday, November 21, 2012

First Interview

I recently attended my first med school interview. There were a dozen other applicants with me that day. Some how, I felt like I was behind on my make-believe timeline with my first interview happening in mid-November. As it turns out, only two other people in our group have had a previous interview, and one of those was earlier that same week.

I must admit, I was surprised with how happy the med students were. We were divided into groups of three for tours given by first-year students. It was casual and informative. Our tour guide stated, repeatedly, that he had "lots of free time" and he felt like it was pretty easy to balance studying with the rest of his life. Lunch was in the cafeteria with a group of second-year students. One of the students seemed like she had a chip on her shoulder. But, hey, sometimes I have a chip on my shoulder, too. Even so, she still was very positive about the school and the level of student support that was offered. Going on campus and talking with students tells you so much more about a school than any website.

Here is my interview schedule thus far:
November: one western school, two Texas schools
January: one midwestern, one Appalachian (WVU's finally came via good ol' USPS)

No comments:

Post a Comment