Saturday, November 3, 2012

Settling In

A while back I said you know you're crazy when you check your email six times a day. Here's a revision...Crazy is checking it six times an hour.

And that's where I've been. Once my MCAT scores were released on October 2, I had an optimistic sense of anticipation. I reviewed the "complete" emails I got from school and read a few posts on forums. My thinking brain knew I wouldn't hear from any schools for about 30 days. The invitations I got to interview just 16 days after my scores were release threw me. I'm operating with my emotional brain now. As more time passed, I found myself checking for an invitation with greater frequency. To the point of absurdity. To the point of despair.

Two days ago, I got another invitation to interview. Yesterday, my fourth invitation came. Now that I've hit that 30-day mark, I feel so much more comfortable with where I am in the application process. It is a long and challenging process, but I know that it will work out fine. Some how I got it stuck in my brain that if I interview at five schools, I should get at least one offer. Really, that's not based on anything but the idea that it is the law of averages at play. Of course, five interviews really isn't enough to let the law of averages work in my favor. Each school has its own acceptance rate for out-of-staters, and it really isn't a 50/50 odds ratio.

Now that I have four of my mythical five interviews scheduled, I feel a bit more sane. I'm back to checking my email only six times a day instead of six times an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment