Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Highs and Lows

Only one school that I applied to relies on the Pony Express. West Virginia University School of Medicine requires applicants to fill out an online secondary form and then to submit support documents (including essays) via snail mail. I mailed my envelope Priority Mail three weeks ago. In response, the school extends invitations to interview by mail. There is no online portal to check your status and no email to confirm you are complete.

Around 1:30 PM last Saturday, I noticed a tiny brown postcard in my mail basket. It was delivered three days earlier. It was an official USPS notice informing me that a certified letter was waiting for me. The post office closes at 2:00 PM and so I hopped into my car and danced my way into the lobby. Could it be? Did WVU decide I was worthy of an interview?

The line was moving dreadfully slow. After 10 minutes of waiting, the clerk brought me my envelope. My small, flat, not from WVU envelope. It was just a notice from my tenant telling me he was moving out. Talk about let down! I already knew he was moving out because he already sent notice via email. And really, didn't he know sending a certified letter to a neurotic pre-med is just a cruel, cruel joke? Granted my hopes were only raised for a total of 25 minutes. But it was 25 minutes of delicious day-dreaming. Followed by nothing.

I suppose that, for now, no news is good news. As painful as limbo is, there is still the hope of ending up on heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment