Saturday, July 20, 2013

Finding a Place to Call Home

This week began with a list of new houses to look at. I visited the city twice this spring, and two of the houses I saw on my trip in April are still on the market. Both had elements of what I wanted, but neither was something I felt like I just had to have. Least you think that is overly snobby of me, I've got to say, at age 39 I have grown tired of living in "eh" places.

I had narrowed down my list to 18 homes, but told the realtor I wanted to start with the ones that were my favorite on paper. Once I walked through home #2, I knew that we were done. This home is the same age as me, and (like me) it needs a little updating. Sure, it could use a major kitchen remodel, but the basic bones are fantastic. The neighborhood is picturesque, and the schools are the best in the area. Plus, it is on an acre lot and my 9-year-old son can have his much dreamed-about chicken coop. We drew up an offer on the spot.

The week has been pretty tense dealing with offers and counter-offers and changes in loan stipulations. Earlier today, I signed the agreed upon counter-offer on the house I will be in for the next four to eight years. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the loan application goes through without a hitch (although I've already been on the phone with our lender a few more times than I'd like this week). Our plan is to close on the house two weeks after school starts as that is when my husband can take a couple of weeks off of work and move the family.

Being open to moving for medical school created so many more possibilities than if I felt like I had to get into my local school. I've read lots of posts by non-traditional pre-meds (usually Moms) that say that the only chance they have at medical school is going to the one that is within an hour from home. I am sure that happens for some people, but for most of us it means you have the choice to become a doctor or stay put. My state school scores applicants on a variety of factors and advises students to be average in at least half of the categories. Frankly, I rocked all of the categories, but it just wasn't meant to be. Hanging out for another month or two on their waitlist when I had a seat open for me here just would have been torture.

That's not to say that the alternative is easy. Moving is hard! I have six school-aged children that are making some pretty big sacrifices. I'm leaving my oldest child behind to start college in our "home state." My husband doesn't have a job in our new city, so he will be returning to work after he gets the kids settled in their new schools. My decision to go to med school is affecting everyone. It is scary, but it is also thrilling, exciting, and amazing. I love that I am not just telling my kids to make their lives what they want, I am showing them that it is possible. Difficult, yes, but oh-so worth it.

1 comment:

  1. This is excellent stuff. Thank you for sharing. As a dad who is hoping to start medical school in 2 years, thinking about the prospect of moving is one of the greatest challenges. I appreciate your candor.

    ReplyDelete