Sunday, July 14, 2013

Home Sweet Temporary-housing

After two full days of driving, I have arrived safe and sound at my new home in Texas. Well, sort of. I am subleasing a room in a student apartment complex for a month while house-hunting. I must say, I forgot how thin apartment walls are and how luxurious student beds aren't. So while my body tells me, "Sleep, you fool!" my brain says, "I do believe you could be more uncomfortable, theoretically." The amber glow from the street lamp shining directly into my bedroom window just adds to the ambiance.

OK, gripe session done.

In all honesty, I am so grateful that my little car weathered the journey. The drive was long, but good music and "company" via the magic of cell phones made the solo trip bearable. I pulled into town before sundown, so I had plenty of time to get settled into my new room. I even ran to the grocery store, made a salad for tomorrow (quinoa and black bean--tastes best chilled), and planned a rendezvous with classmates.

The "geriatric group" (5 of us over 30) are meeting up for coffee tomorrow. A local gal--whose husband was a non-trad a decade ago--has put in lots of effort to get our little group connected via Facebook this summer. I'm looking forward to finally meeting face-to-face. I've already received so much support and friendship from these relative strangers. I've heard comments about the long-lasting friendships formed in medical school. It makes sense when you consider the high-stress environment; a situation that often leads to either camaraderie or cut-throats. I'll pick camaraderie any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment