Monday, July 8, 2013

Serendipity

I quit my job today. Yes, I was sad, but mostly I was giddy. In four days I'm leaving home and heading to a new town in a new state to start a new chapter in my life.

Over the past few months, I have spent an absurd amount of time reading about public schools and taking virtual tours of houses trying to make what needs to happen next week a little easier. Moving a family is a whole lot more complicated than just packing up my lonesome and venturing into the unknown. My mantra is to have faith and lean into it. I am sure that I sound like a silly romantic, but sometimes the good that life has to give you is so much more than you can imagine.

Last fall, I read The Alchemist as I flew to interviews. The protagonist in the story is reminded to watch for signs and trust what nature brings to him. While walking along the beach with my sister a few weeks ago, I noticed what I thought was an oddly-shaped mass of seaweed. As I got closer, I realized that it was nothing natural at all, but a sea-worn resin statuette of Ganesh.

 
What a beautiful gift from the Atlantic! Ganesh is the Hindu god of intellect and wisdom, and he is often referred to as the Remover of Obstacles and the Lord of Beginnings. Though I am not Hindu, I appreciate this gift from nature for what it is: a sign of things to come and a reminder to trust that all of this will work out for my good.

No comments:

Post a Comment